The holiday season is a wonderful time of the year. It’s a time for dinners, decorations, and gift giving, but unfortunately, it’s also a dangerous time for pets. Holiday dangers for pets can be found in the least expected places. Here are some dangers to be aware of for pets during the holidays. If your pet does ingest something dangerous during the holidays, it is important to contact a veterinarian, such as Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital in Bloomington, as soon as possible.
Regardless of how adorable your dog looks while pleading for table scraps, feeding your dog certain foods, especially rich fatty foods and turkey bones, can be extremely dangerous. When dogs consume fatty foods, they can experience inflammation of the pancreas that can cause pain and dehydration. If they consume turkey bones, there is a risk of the bone splintering and puncturing their internal organs. So, it’s best to avoid feeding your pet any table scraps as a holiday treat. If you notice your dog experiencing vomiting or diarrhea, contact an animal hospital in case they have ingested harmful foods.
Holly, poinsettias, and mistletoe are common holiday plants, but these plants are also dangerous for pets. Mistletoe and holly can cause problems breathing, gastrointestinal disorders, and even death in extreme cases. Poinsettias can cause painful ingestion when eaten by dogs, but it is more harmful to cats and may be toxic if ingested.
Holidays are meant to be enjoyed, not spent taking pets to the animal hospital due to emergencies. It is important to use safety measures to protect pets from holiday dangers, including tree decorations and treats, such as chocolate and electrical cords. If your pet does get injured or ingest something harmful, it is important to take them to your Bloomington veterinarian immediately.
Contact Your Veterinarian in Bloomington Today
To learn more about holiday dangers for pets or to schedule an appointment, contact Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital in Bloomington at 309-663-1414.