Puppy Care from our Bloomington Veterinarian
Puppies need special care to grow up strong and healthy. As a puppy owner, it's your job to bring your puppy to the veterinarian and provide your puppy with the proper diet and exercise. Not all pet owners know best practices for puppy and dog care. At Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital we're dedicated to the task of helping puppy owners care for their new pets. By giving practical advice and administering proper puppy care, we can help your puppy live a long, happy life. Puppies need a series of vaccines just like a human baby. Start the vaccinations at 7-8 weeks of age. Our “Puppy Package” covers your pet through this period of life.
Helping Puppy Owners Care for Their Pets
Your puppy will need special care when he or she first enters your home. Below are some of the basics that every puppy needs to have his or her physical and mental needs met.
- Private space. Puppies need a place where they can go for time alone and to sleep. This can be in a crate or a private space in a quiet room of the house.
- Training. All puppies need to be trained in order to behave properly and meet their owner's expectations. Behavior training and house training are essential. At Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital, we can provide guidance for pet owners who feel unsure about the basics of puppy training.
- Food. Puppies require a rich diet in order to stay healthy. Feeding your puppy with food formulated for young dogs will help ensure that your animal friend gets the nutrition he or she needs to grow up strong.
- Toys. Puppies need the mental stimulation that comes from playing with toys that are safe and formulated for pets.
Providing All the Proper Puppy Care
As your Bloomington veterinarian, we provide all the medical care that puppies need when they're young. Some of the basic care that we provide to puppies includes:
- Wellness exams. Wellness exams are the most basic form of pet care. During our wellness exams, we check your puppy for signs of illness and poor health, then we make recommendations for treatment.
- Vaccinations. Vaccinations help your puppy avoid common illnesses and serious medical conditions. We can help you track your puppy's vaccination and booster shot schedule, so your puppy will have proper immunity.
- Spaying and neutering. Spaying and neutering helps control the pet population and can also put your pet at lower risk for diseases and illnesses later on in life.
- Dental care. Pet dental care should start when your puppy is young in order for your pet to avoid gum disease, tooth loss and tooth infection. In addition to tooth cleaning services, we also show puppy owners how to clean their puppy's teeth with a tooth brush and puppy formulated tooth paste.
Contact Your Veterinarian in Bloomington Today
At Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital, Dr. David Tatro and his team can help your puppy get the care he or she needs in order to stay healthy. To make your puppy's first appointment with a veterinarian in Bloomington, contact Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital today at 309-663-1414.