Accessibility View Close toolbar

Toxic Ingestion

Learn About Toxic Ingestion Hazards With Our Emergency Vet Team in Bloomington

You never want to expose your pet to a harmful toxin. But sometimes accidents happen and our pets get into things they shouldn't. The emergency vet team at Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital in Bloomington IL wants to help you be prepared if you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic. 

Dog looking at all the delicious food he cant eat.

Common Types of Toxins Ingested by Cats & Dogs

The following toxins are the most frequently ingested by the urgently ill cats and dogs we treat at our animal hospital in Bloomington:

  • Household cleaners and chemicals: shampoos, detergents, bleach, etc.
  • Antifreeze
  • Rodent poison, pesticides, and insecticides
  • Human medications (as well as animal medications if consumed to excess)
  • Household plants: poinsettias, lilies, azaleas, mistletoe, tulips, oleander, sago palms, and amaryllis 
  • Human foods: grapes, garlic, onions, chives, raisins, chocolate, raw yeast, coffee grounds, alcohol, macadamia nuts, rhubarb and potato leaves and stems, and products containing the artificial sweetener xylitol 

Pets can also ingest things which pose serious choking or intestinal blockage/laceration hazards. This includes cooked chicken bones, plastic, coins, rubber bands, and string. 

Did My Pet Eat Something Toxic? Tips From a Veterinarian in Bloomington

You can reduce your pet's risk of accidental toxin ingestion by keeping all potentially toxic items out of reach of your companion's curious mouth. However, if your pet does get into something, it's important to act quickly and seek professional urgent vet care with a veterinarian in Bloomington, IL.

The first step, however, is recognizing signs of toxic ingestion. Look for:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Excessive thirst
  • Increased or decreased urine output
  • Vomiting and diarrhea 
  • Lack of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Seizure or collapse
  • Change in mental status

If left untreated, toxic ingestion can lead to organ damage, coma, and death. If you have ANY suspicions, call our emergency vet staff in Bloomington right away. We'll ask about your pet's signs and if possible may ask you to bring in a sample of the suspected toxic product.

You can also just bring your pet right in. Consider calling us on your way so we can prepare. Our triage team will get to work right away to manage your pet's urgent care and follow up needs. 

Lastly, unless advised by our team, do not try to induce vomiting in your pet. This may not be the appropriate plan of action, especially if the substance is corrosive and could cause further damage to the esophagus. 

Are You Concerned About Your Pet's Health? Seek Urgent Vet Care in Bloomington at Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital

Contact Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital ASAP at 309-663-1414 with any urgent vet care concerns in Bloomington. It's our mission and honor to help!

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you

Location

Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

Fairway Knolls Veterinary Hospital

Monday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Tuesday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Wednesday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Thursday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Friday:

7:00 am-6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-1:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed

Surgery

Monday - Friday

Drop-Off Times From 7:00AM – 7:30AM